The idea of the "designer babies" have been lurking around the news for the past few weeks. The word "designer baby" is a term used by the media describing the new idea of human genetic alteration to create "select" babies. Meaning, parents can decide what they want their child to look like and what they want their child's personalities to be. Scientists are looking more into this new discovery.
Overall, I think this idea is morally wrong because I believe that humans shouldn't have the power to change what people look like or should look like. However, I think that this method could be beneficial in a sense that it could help parents to detect genes that could put the baby more at risk of a family disease and prevent that gene from being passed on to the baby. I know that in the future, more people are going to start to accept this idea and "designer babies" will become more common, but at this moment, I feel that, unless parents are willing to use this method solely to help prevent passing on disease genes, it should not be considered. But I know that that's not going to happen...

2 comments:
This is kind of cool, because it shows our advances in technology, but in other ways it's also kind of scary. If you can engineer babies anyway you want to, you lose people's uniqueness. Also, if some people chose to have babies the normal way, and some people chose to "design" their babies, it would create bigger gaps.
I would want a designer baby, nothing wrong with rigging it for a disease free and good looking life!
Plus It'd be nice to give the kid an edge in life.
Post a Comment