Sunday, February 1, 2009

12 is the new 10

On Friday, January 3o, I new baby boy was born. Of course, unlike most people, he was born with 12 fingers and 12 toes. This child was born with a condition known as polydactyly- extra digits. Many people believe that it's very unfortunate for a child to be born with polydactyly saying that the child would be teased, but I think that the people who think these things are just encouraging the idea of having polydactyly is an abnormal and horrible thing. I think that having extra fingers could really be an advantage for playing an instrument or even typing.




10 comments:

Diana said...

This is very interesting. Yes, I agree that having more fingers would help with instruments and typing yet depending on the kid's personality it will probably also lead to self-esteem issues and taunting. It will be even more interesting to track the kid's progress and see how he develops.

Rshibu's bLoG :] said...

i also think this is really interesting. Despite having extra fingers as being benefitial, based on what society percieves as normal, the kid may feel insecure.

MVernovsky said...

What is unique about this boy's condition is that usually, when a baby is born with extra fingers/toes, those fingers/toes are not functional. But this boy has fully formed and functional toes and fingers, so, as mentioned by the other comments, they will be quite an advantage to him.

Gary said...

Hey i think this is pretty interesting. Having an extra finger could be very beneficial when doing things like playing piano or typing. But unfortunately, I've mostly heard that people born with extra fingers usually have no control over the extra ones. It's still an interesting idea.

Anonymous said...

I would disagree because having five fingers and five toes is the norm. Many instruments are made for five fingered players, so the child with six fingers will not be helpful.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting. I have heard about this before, and thought about how you would get teased and how horrible it would be. But, I do see your side. This may have advantages that people have to see. People just think the abnormal is horrible.

Meghan said...

I think the best thing to do is embrace what we are born with. Literally. The point you made about this boy being able to excel at isntruments is a great point. Having six fingers and toes is not an obvious thing either. The boy is fortunate to not have three eyes or two noses. I am not a scientist, but his x-rays also show that there appears to be good bone structure and the additional fingers and toes will function normally.

canasian said...

I remember learning about this in bio. It's very sad that doctors amputate extra limbs, fingers, and toes when babies are born with them. I think that they are trying to make it seem like it is freakish and not right. I think it's fine. Who cares if somebody has 6 toes and 6 fingers on each hand and foot? Personally, I think that would be really cool. It sure would give me a great advantage in swimming and guitar :)

Kate S said...

This is very interesting. I feel like having extra fingers or toes would lead to some issues with typing and writing because everyone else around learns to do these things with five fingers, but overall this is a cool disease.

LaurenD said...

This is really interesting. Just thinking about having more fingers makes me think about what things I could do better, or even worse. I mean it would be pretty difficult to find gloves to fit. I definitly agree that it could lead to self-esteem issues.